17. From inside the combat, the federal government advertised austere hairstyles and you will developments for everybody its sufferers; for females, brief, bowl-shaped haircuts and you can loose-fitting, high-waisted monpe jeans (are not used regarding the countryside) had been recommended once the body language away from austerity, modesty and you can home front assistance to your full conflict energy. To have an explanation and research out-of wartime shojo depictions when you look at the shojo zasshi, find Imada Erika, 2007, pp. 57–83. For descriptions out of wartime trend and you can hairdos to own adult ladies, discover Wakakuwa, 2000 Wakakuwa, Midori . 2000 . Senso ga tsukuru joseizo: Dai niji sekai taisenka no Nihon josei doin no shikakuteki puropaganda, Tokyo : Chikuma gakugei bunko . [Google Student] and Atkins, 2005 Atkins, Jacqueline . 2005 . “ Lavishness is the enemy: Trend and you can textiles inside the wartime The japanese, from inside the Jacqueline Atkins ”. In the Wearing propaganda: Textiles for the domestic top in The japanese, Britain, plus the You, 1931–1945, 157 – 169 . The new Refuge and you will London : Yale College or university Press . [Yahoo Student] .
18. Tanabe, ‘Shojo shosetsu ni muchu datta koro’, away from Bara zero kobeya yori, reprinted within the Honda, 1991 Honda, Masuko . 1991 . “ Senjika no shojo zasshi, during the Otsuka Eiji ”. Inside Shojo zasshi ron, Tokyo : Tokyo shoseki . [Bing Pupil] , pp. 36–37.
19. Story away from More youthful Grass, the new translated Japanese term of Louisa Can get Alcott’s Nothing Females. The label Wakakusa Monogatari try then followed when the motion picture is actually found within the The japanese from inside the 1934; before composed translations and you can adaptations off Alcott’s antique got various other headings.
20. Other types away from shojo enjoyment, specifically brand new Takarazuka Revue, will also have given an unit for the right boy having the variety of the newest danso zero reijin[gorgeous girl in the men attire], the brand new otokoyaku. Takarazuka not simply expanded a dedicated shojo fan base from the wartime and you will postwar years, but is actually searched continuously for the shojo zasshi, particularly Shojo zero tomo. To own an explanation and you can historic/anthropological study of the Takarazuka Revue, pick Robertson, 1998 Robertson, Jennifer . 1998 . [Crossref] , [Yahoo Student] .
21. Dating back to brand new 1910s, coaches and you will moral supporters thought about flick theatres while the reproduction reasons behind the newest furyo, otherwise due to the fact furyo’s browse known reasons for their jogakusei subjects. Some girls’ universities place strict requirements toward people whom desired to sit-in movie theatres, or banned attendance downright. Look for Inagaki, 2007 Inagaki, Kyoko . 2007 . Jogakko to jogakusei: kyoyo, tashinami, modan bunka, Tokyo : Chuo koron shinsha . [Google Pupil] , pp. 142–49.
twenty-two. New intimate overtones regarding discussing an enthusiastic umbrella keeps prewar and you may very early wartime precedents. See Kawabata Yasunari’s short story, ‘Amagasa’ (Umbrella) off 1932, that contains a great romantically charged world out-of one or two youths discussing an umbrella. My courtesy The month of january Bardsley to possess citing which partnership.
23. Select ‘Civilizing “Degenerate” Students’, in Ambaras, 2006 Ambaras, David . 2006 . Bad youngsters: Juvenile delinquency additionally the government out-of day to day life for the modern The japanese, Berkeley and Los angeles : School out-of California Force . [Yahoo Beginner] , pp. 66–96.
twenty four. The percentage changes represents figures regarding 1946–fifty in the place of 1936–forty (Lunden, 1953 Lunden, Walter A great. 1953 . Juvenile delinquency from inside the The japanese. Pre-battle, combat, and you may blog post-conflict many years . The newest Journal out-of Unlawful Law, Criminology, and you may Cops Research, 44(4): 428 – 432 . November-December [Crossref] , [Bing Student] , p. 430).
7. I evaluate such depictions in detail about wartime section in my personal dissertation towards the shojo zasshi:‘All the Women’s a period: Representations of Womanliness and you may Puberty into the Japanese Girls’ Guides, 1930s-1960s’ (PhD Dissertation, Stanford College, 2008).
sixteen. Select Inagaki, 2007 Inagaki, Kyoko . 2007 . Jogakko to help you jogakusei: kyoyo, tashinami, modan bunka, Tokyo : Chuo koron shinsha . [Yahoo College student] , p. 207.